Collection of Personal Data
From time to time and for the purpose of carrying on any operation or business of the Foundation, you may be requested to supply data that may directly or indirectly identify you or other person(s) as an individual ("Personal Data"). The scope of Personal Data required from you may vary depending on the circumstances but in general may include, but is not limited to, the following:-
- Contact details such as email address, office and/or home address, telephone number, mobile phone number and fax number;
- Educational and professional background including details of professional memberships, examination results, references, past scholarships, awards, employment, or community services;
- Financial and billing information including income, financial statements, identity of other funders and details of funding, contractors, bank account information and details etc.; and
- Image and voice, including photograph, video or audio recordings.
Supply of Personal Data to the Foundation is generally non-obligatory but failure to do so may result in the Foundation being unable to process your applications or to provide you with the relevant facilities or services.
Occasionally, you may need to provide Personal Data about other individuals to the Foundation (such as referee(s) from your institution, researcher(s) of your project(s), funders, suppliers or contractors). In that event, for the compliance with the Ordinance, you are required to have first obtained the authorisation of such individuals before using, disclosing and transferring their Personal Data, including giving consent on their behalf to the Foundation’s possible use, disclosure and transfer of their Personal Data, for the purposes you would want to achieve from the Foundation. If necessary, the Foundation may require you to provide to the Foundation any supporting documents which may be necessary to prove such authorisation. You should also advise them that the Foundation can be contacted for further information.
Use of Personal Data
Your Personal Data may be used for the following purposes or any directly-related purposes:-
- The Foundation’s management, administration and operations of its funding programmes such as grants, scholarships, sponsorship or fellowship of any association established by the Foundation in connection with such funding programmes and/or other related charitable matters ("Funding Programmes");
- Processing of applications in relation to the Funding Programmes;
- Verifying your identity and assessing your suitability and eligibility for the Funding Programmes (regardless of whether you are a new applicant or an applicant who re-applies for such funding programmes);
- Collating statistical information relating to the applicants, to assist the Foundation in the management and administration of the Funding Programmes;
- Matching (as defined in the Ordinance) your Personal Data with other data collected for other purposes (by the Foundation or any third party), in relation to the processing, assessment, administration, operations and/or management of the Funding Programmes;
- Promoting and advertising any Funding Programmes, such as sending you newsletters, information or promotional materials regarding charitable causes, activities and events organised or sponsored by the Foundation (please see further details in "Direct Marketing");
- Facilitating and maintaining communication with recipients of grants, scholarships and other award recipients;
- Meeting any obligations, requirements or arrangements, whether compulsory or voluntary, of the Foundation, or in connection with:
- any law, regulation, judgment, court order, sanctions regime, within or outside the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region ("Hong Kong") existing currently and in the future;
- any guidelines, guidance, demand or requests given or issued by any legal, regulatory, governmental, tax, law enforcement or other authorities within or outside Hong Kong; or
- any of the rules or articles of the Foundation relating to the Foundation's core operations.
- Complying with any obligations, requirements, policies, procedures, measures or arrangements for sharing data and information of the Foundation and/or any other use of data and information in accordance with any programmes for compliance with sanctions or prevention or detection of money laundering, terrorist financing or other unlawful activities; and/or
- Prevention, detection or investigation of crime.
Occasionally, the Foundation may use your Personal Data (including your name and contact details) to send you marketing or promotional communications containing news, offers and/or promotions about charitable, community or other non-profit making events, causes or activities organised, sponsored or arranged by the Foundation.
You can always opt-out from receiving such marketing or promotional communications free-of-charge by contacting the Foundation.
Disclosure of Personal Data
Personal Data supplied to the Foundation will be kept confidential. However, the Foundation may, where such disclosure is necessary to satisfy the purpose, or a directly related purpose, for which the Personal Data was collected, provide such Personal Data to the following parties:
- The Club and/or any Club Entity for fulfilling the purposes for which it was collected (subject to any consent requirement relating to "Direct Marketing" above);
- External personnel or organisations (including but not limited to educational or other institutions, associations or organisations, your referees, governmental authorities, assessment or examination boards and awarding bodies) for the purposes or a directly-related purpose for which the personal data was collected or where it is permitted under the Ordinance;
- Any other person or company who is under a duty of confidentiality to the Foundation and has undertaken to keep such information confidential, provided such person or company has a legitimate right to such information;
- Consultants, agents, contractors, suppliers and any third party service provider of the Foundation which provide administrative, marketing and research, distribution, data processing, telecommunications, computer, financial, payment or other services to the Foundation in connection with its operations;
- Government and regulatory authorities, investigative bodies and law enforcement agencies and other organisations, as required or authorised by law;
- Any financial institutions, including banks, necessary to and solely for the purposes of establishing and supporting payment in connection with any Funding Programmes;
- Your authorised representatives or legal advisers when requested by you to do so.
The Foundation and/or the Club may also disclose your Personal Data to third parties:
- when required by law, by court order, or in response to a search warrant or other legally valid inquiry; or
- pursuant to the Foundation's and/or the Club’s good faith belief that disclosure is required by law or otherwise necessary to the establishment of legal claims or defences, to obtain legal advice, to exercise and defend the Foundation’s and/or the Club's legal rights, or to protect the life, body or property of an individual. This also applies when the Foundation and/or the Club has reason to believe that disclosing the Personal Data is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against someone who may be causing interference with the Foundation and/or the Club's rights or properties, whether intentionally or otherwise, or when anyone else could be harmed by such activities.
Where applicable, the Foundation and/or the Club may also transfer any information it holds about you as an asset in connection with a merger or sale (including transfers made as part of insolvency or bankruptcy proceedings) involving all or part of Foundation and/or the Club or as part of a corporate reorganisation or other change in corporate control.
The Personal Data that the Foundation and/or the Club collects or obtains may be transferred to jurisdictions that offer lesser protection of personal data than that provided in your jurisdiction. By submitting Personal Data to the Foundation or applying for any of the Funding Programmes of the Foundation, you understand and consent to such transfer.
Links to Third Party Websites
By using The Foundation's website ("Website") and mobile apps, if any, you agree that the Foundation can store and access cookies, IP addresses and use other methods in order to collect website usage data and improve your on-line experience.
Cookies are small files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit or certain emails you open. They are widely used in order to make websites function properly, as well as to provide business and marketing information to the website owners.
All Personal Data that has been collected from you will only be stored for a duration that is relevant to the purpose for which it was processed and for as long as required by applicable law.
Commitment to Data Security
The Foundation is committed to protecting the security of your Personal Data. A variety of physical, technological and organisational measures are used to help protect your Personal Data from unauthorised or accidental access, processing, erasure or other use.
Access to and Correction of Personal Data
You are entitled to request access to Personal Data held by the Foundation about you and to correct such data. The Foundation may charge a reasonable fee for the processing of such data access request. You may direct your request in writing to:
Data Privacy Compliance Officer The Hong Kong Jockey Club Headquarters 1 Sports Road Happy Valley, Hong Kong.
This notice is written in English language and may be translated into other languages. In the event of any inconsistency between the English version and the translated version of this notice, the English version shall prevail.